Saturday, August 30, 2008

Ecology

I have been misunderstanding the meaning of ecology.
I thought that ecology is to reduce unnecessary energy or trash.

The meaning is "study of organisms and the environment".
For example,
"The oil spill caused terrible damage to the fragile ecology of the coast."
I mean I didn't expect this kind of usage at all.

Anyway, if you reduce the energy, it would make less CO2.
And this will prevent global warming.
Then it will be easy to live with the environment.
I keep using this ecology in this entry.

Ecology is difficult to deal with.
It seems that there is nothing I can do.
Turning off the lights often doesn't look good.

But I finally found how.
Throughout cooking you can reduce a large amount of energy.

A TV program* shows
there are a lot of unnecessary heat while our cooking.
For example,
it is said that spinach needs to be boiled in large amount of water.
But actually it doesn't a matter.
The amount of water doesn't affect its taste.
You can boil spinach with less water.
So you can also reduce the heat to boil water.

There are other ways in the program.
Ecology is not something special. You can do it every day.
It's really eye-opener for me.

* http://www.nhk.or.jp/gatten/archive/2008q2/20080604.html

No comments: